EHR & Health Informatics Software
Technological advancement in the development of software has helped to make cumbersome tasks much easier in many fields. One of the greatest contributions is in the area of healthcare and health informatics software. Nowadays, nurses and doctors can access information on a particular patient very easily but there are also many improvements in other areas. Here’s some information on healthcare and health informatics software.
Electronic Health or Medical Record
Electronic health or medical record refers to a computerized record of patients stored electronically. Due to its ease of use, electronic health or medical record is being widely used around the world. Information can be shared across hospitals or across departments within a hospital. It contains all details about the medical history of a patient and is normally maintained in hospitals, clinics, physician’s office, and other such medical institutions. A few of the more popular software include Medilig, ClearHealth, FreeMED, GNUmed, and FFEHR.
- MEDILIG: A place to download one of the best electronic health or medical record software.
- ClearHealth: Open Source software with excellent functionality.
- FreeMED: One of the most widely used open source electronic medical record software.
- GNUmed: Electronic health record software with multiple languages.
- FFEHR: Official site of Free Feathers Electronic Health Record, based on the Mozilla programming framework.
Medical Practice Management Software
Medical practice management software is used to manage the everyday activities in a hospital or other such institutions. This software helps to maintain patient records, schedule appointments, write prescriptions, generate reports, and some even provide insurance details. Care2X, OpenEMR, MirrorMed, Open Dental, and TAPAS are some popular medical practice management software.
- Care2X: A place to download this efficient medical practice management software.
- OpenEMR: Complete medical practice management software which supports electronic health records, medical billing, and prescription writing.
- MirrorMed: Homepage of open source medical practice management software written in PHP.
- Open Dental: Complete medical practice management software for dentists.
- TAPAS: Official site of the Technology Assisted Practice Application Suite.
Health System Management
Health system management software is used to organize the hierarchy of management in health clinics, hospital networks, and health care systems. This is an important tool for human resource management in the health care sectors. The software available for health care management are DHIS, HRHIS, iHRIS, Medinous, and Omron.
- DHIS2: Homepage of the District Health Information Software 2, which provides great flexibility and reliability.
- IHRIS Suite: HRH leadership software for health system management.
- HRHIS: The website of Human Resource for Health Information Software.
- Medinous: Offers hospital management solutions for small clinics, medium sized hospitals, and huge hospitals.
- Omron: A place to download the Omron Health Management Software.
Medical Information Systems
Medical information systems software is used to store patient information electronically. It is used mainly in clinics and laboratories for research purposes as the data pertains to clinical records. Some of the programs that support medical information systems are Caisis, OpenClinica, openMEDIS, Resmedicinae, and OIO.
- Caisis: Web-based open source medical information system focusing on cancer data management.
- OpenClinica: One of the more popular medical information systems with more than 9,700 members in 76 countries.
- openMEDIS: A place to download this medical information system software.
- Resmedicinae: Flexible and easy-to-use software based on CYBOP technology.
- OIO: The official site of Open Infrastructure for Outcomes.
Data translation software is required to translate the data, and messages both ways across multiple transports or locations. It used for mapping, decoding, and coding available data. Some of the more widely used data translation programs include Glassfish ESB, Mirth, and Bots.
- Glassfish ESB: Open source data translation software using JSR-208.
- Mirth: Provides open source data translation solutions for healthcare sector.
- BOTS: Comprehensive software for Electronic Data Interchange.
- CONNECT: Premier data translation software for the health sector.
- Dinifti: Software for conversion of MRI images in DICOM to NIfTI format.
Coding is the process of converting the descriptions of illnesses or injuries into code numbers containing alphabets and numbers. Coding helps to accurately and efficiently diagnose the patient so that the right treatment can be administered. OpenGalen, NHS Common User Interface Program, and ODIN are the software used in coding.
- OpenGalen: The official site offering information, tutorials, download, and more.
- NHS Common User Interface Program: One of the most trusted coding software in the healthcare sector.
- ODIN: Homepage of the Object-Oriented Development Interface for NMR.
- Alpha II: One of the leading medical coding software in the industry.
- Clinical Coding Expert: Easy-to-use medical coding software.
The use of telecommunication and technology in the diagnosis and treatment of a patient is known as telemedicine. It helps reduce the distance barriers so that patients can consult doctors and send medical date online. The software used for facilitating telemedicine are iPath, Zephyr Open, and BigBlueButton.
- Zephyr Open: A telemedicine software dealing with BlueTooth Physiological Sensors.
- BigBlueButton: Teleconferencing software which is suitable for telemedicine.
- e-Sanjeevani: Web-based telemedicine solution.
- CardioPhonics: Telemedicine hardware and software package with allows ECG Data to be shared and exported.
There’s software which enable doctors and medical personnel to access patients information and health related data through their mobile phones or handheld devices. It also helps them to plan the day, visits, manage appointments, and communicate with a group. Some of the programs available for mobile or handheld devices include Commcare, EpiHandy, FrontlineSMS, Sana, and Ushahidi.
- CommCare: Allows users to monitor and strengthen health programs.
- EpiHandy: Easy-to-use set of tools for colleting and handling of data.
- Frontline SMS: Provides information, resources, and download for mobile or handheld devices.
- Sana: Provides mobile information services to improve healthcare in remote areas.
- Ushahidi: Allows users to access data by email, SMS, or web on map or timeline.